Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Save the snakes (breeding ball!)

Got a call this morning from a frantic, former co-worker, that there were snakes basking in the bushes outside her bedroom window, and she wanted them GONE!!!  When I asked her to describe them, I was sure they were going to be garter snakes.  Of course that's exactly what she described, since she lives within the city limits, and that's about the only type that still co-exist with humanity in an urban setting.

When I got there, the bush looked to be vacated, but indeed while we waited, a couple little heads showed themselves above the foliage.  Grabbing them proved to be a bit more difficult.  After I figured out their potential plan of action (like where they were disappearing to) I got the hang of it, and caught 6 all together.  She thought there were 5, so I'm one ahead of her.  I told her I'd come back tomorrow morning, to see if there were any more.

I believe it may have been a potential "breeding ball", as they're known, when some snakes gather in a large group (usually a pack of males to one female) to try to impregnant her.  This has been documented in garter snakes, and anacondas.  A breeding ball of anacondas would definitely be something to behold!   Indeed one of the garter snakes was visibly larger than the others.
This is the bush that housed the snakes; the evergreen, NOT the larger broadleaf to the left.
Can you find the snake?  Great camouflage!

Two small handfuls of the squirmin vermin!

Cameo shot of the big six.
Dumped them all out at home.   The majority split before I could get a good shot!  They'll be safer on 20 acres, rather than a bush in front of an apartment building.  And with luck they'll make more baby garter snakes!  All in a day's work!

No comments:

Post a Comment